There is a lot of talk about the need to visualize your goals and outcomes in sales- not least by me!!!
To paraphrase Napoleon Hill in his book ‘Think and Grow Rich’ , If you can visualize it, you can achieve it. It may not be plain sailing but you stand a much better chance. There is also growing evidence from sports psychologists that visualization can be used to develop physical skills. Visualize yourself selling effectively in your inner world and you improve your performance in the real world!
I thought it might be useful for some tips on how to actually visualize.
Visualization is a process where a person forms clear and distinct images in his mind of whatever he or she wants. It can be done by anyone who can invoke mental images with clarity. Even if you cannot see mental images it still works. You may not be able to visualize your front door but if someone asks you what colour it is then I am sure you will know. The fact that you can recall what your front door looks like means that at some level you can visualize. You just need to trust that it is working.
Visualizing is a straightforward process but it takes commitment and practice to be able to do it with ease. Here are specific tips for effective visualization:
1. Relax. Whether you opt to lie down in a bed or lounge in the couch, the most important thing to do is to be in a receptive mental state or an altered state of consciousness. You can concentrate on your breathing pattern, focusing on the manner by which you rhythmically inhale and exhale. It should be deep and slow. When you first wake up in the morning, whilst still lying in your bed, is an ideal time for visualization.
2. Visualize something specific. What is your goal? Is it a new car, a house, to win a particular account? It is imperative that you imagine your goal in the present tense – as if it is already real. Include yourself in that scene and make it as colorful as possible. Feel the experience using your inner senses and include some sounds too. Especially words that you find uplifting and motivational.
3. Be positive. You should convince yourself that you and your family deserve the best in life. Why not you? Let your mental images be your final vision for the day and your mind will work on ways to achieve it whilst you sleep!
4. Believe that you will have what you imagine – expect results! It may be a challenge but it will serve to spur the visualization. Envision the exhilaration you would feel upon reaching your goal.
5. Take action! This is often a forgotten step in visualization. In fact it’s the secret of the secret! By taking action you start to invoke the power of serendipity. Action also helps build expectation